Melon is the highlighted fruit of the week and what we should be eating now! It is perfectly ripe and in season here in Greece.
The calories are low, but nutrients are high. Vitamin A & C, found in high levels known for promoting healthy vision and skin, boosting immunity, and reducing inflammation.
The seeds also provide important omega-3 fatty acids and are edible!
The potassium found in melon is an important nutrient for athletes and anyone that is active. It relaxes blood vessels and lowers blood pressure and protects against muscle cramping. Also, it provides quicker muscle recovery and reduced stress on the body as you build muscle, strength and endurance.
One cup (about 160 grams) of cubed melon contains:
- 54.4 calories
- 14.1 g carbohydrates
- 1.3 g protein
- 0.3 g fat
- 1.4 g fiber
- 5,412 vitamin A (108 percent DV)
- 58.7 mg vitamin C (98 percent DV)
- 427 mg potassium (12 percent DV)
- 33.6 micrograms folate (8 percent DV)
- 1.2 mg niacin (6 percent DV)
- 0.1 mg vitamin B6 (6 percent DV)
- 4 micrograms vitamin K (5 percent DV)
- 19.2 mg magnesium (5 percent DV)
12 Health Benefits of melon
1. Great Source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C
2. Fights Cancer with Powerful Phytochemicals
3. Contains Anti-inflammatory Properties
4. May Help Prevent Heart Disease
5. Boosts Immunity
6. Helps Muscle Recovery and Stamina
7. Protects Eye Health
8. Protects Skin Health
9. Good for Digestion
10. Helps the Body Detox
11. Restores the Body’s pH Level
12. Low in Calories and Helps Support Weight Loss
Voula at Margarita Fruit and Vegetable Store helps me shop for the freshest and healthiest fruits and vegetables. Knowing your fruit and vegetable vendors makes a huge difference!
Margarita: Πριγκιπος Πετρου 34, Voúla
Katy Taveira, MSc